THUJA ESSENTIAL OIL (THUJA ORIENTALIS | THUJA OCCIDENTALIS)
Thuja AKA Arborvitae (meaning Tree of Life) is a rich tree spanning many continents, different traditions offering bright stimulatory and energetic qualities. Thuja Essential Oil is used topically and the tree’s leaves has been used in many native cultures for a variety of reasons.
- Aids in Respiratory Infections
- Mild Analgesic
- Circulatory System Stimulant
- Diuretic qualities
- Ingredient in Botanical Perfumery
- Repels Pests
- Relieves Rheumatic Pain
- Stimulates Respiratory System
- Used to Remove Warts
American Thuja: Very high forest top note, with a sweet seductive aromatic underbelly.
Chinese Thuja: Smoky, rich barbeque notes, calming and soothing to the nervous system.
Dr. Nick Notes
Arborvitae, the Tree of Life ~ Thuja, is a powerful tree offering therapeutic effects when used consciously. Thuja occidentalis produces the powerful Thuja essential oil with powerful qualities to promote breakdown and stimulate body systems. Thuja contains powerful constituents including thujone and other ketones, which some studies suggest hypnotic qualities / neurotoxicity. Ketones (ie. Fenchone, Thujone) have a disintegrating quality and can promote breakdown of dysfunctional growth. Energetically this breakdown quality has beneficial qualities on skin conditions like eczema or warts and can break up thick mucous / phlegm in the respiratory tract.
Arborvitae Essential Oil may promote emmenagogue properties to aid women with the onset menstrual cycles, acts as a circulatory stimulant, provides anti-rheumatic qualities for pain and inflammation in joints, and is a potent diuretic to release toxins, supporting detoxification pathways. Thuja has astringent qualities, and may aid to break a fever (febrifuge), release mucous and gunk from the lungs. Thuja essential oil can be diluted into water or a carrier oil and used as an insect repellant. This wide array of system restoration may be clues to Thuja's common name Arborvitae, the Tree of Life ~
Arborvitae really provides superior qualities to detoxify and cleanse in the modern age. Thuja essential oil acts as a tonic to the entire system - stimulating the digestive, excretory, endocrine systems, as well as the Central Nervous System. Thuja is phenomenal for use in the environment using your diffuser, and combines great with other trees & spices. Applied topically on sore joints and muscles provides a gentle warming quality to reduce rheumatic pain. Thuja Essential Oil adds a unique, mysterious aromatic quality in botanical perfumery (ie. Jungle Spice).
Truly an intriguing quality extract for all walks of life ... except do AVOID in pregnancy and during nursing 🙂
How to Use
- Arborvitae Essential Oil / Thuja Essential oil works as a mild analgesic with circulatory enhancing qualities - Try 10% Thuja EO infused into almond or sesame oil, especially combined with other warming analgesics (ie. Nutmeg, Black Pepper).
- Can be added into a mister bottle with water (ie. 30-60 drops in 2-4 ounces) to use on bug bites or to repel insects.
- Apply onto warts, dilute to 5-10% before applying directly on affected area.
- For menstrual cramps / symptoms, infuse 10% into a warm compress and massage lower abdomen gently and relax. Breathe deep!
Use 1-2 drops in a warm bath, great combined with 1-2 drops of Cedar Atlas or Sweet Marjoram.
~ Be Blessed ~
The oil is to be diluted before applying topically. Some constituents have mild-moderate toxicity, especially in higher quantities. Not suggested for use on the skin neat. Do not ingest Thuja / Arborvitae essential oil. AVOID in pregnancy and nursing mothers, Thuja is abortifacient!
Blends Well With: Sweet Basil, Caraway, Ginger, Mace, Nutmeg, Blood Orange, Black Pepper, Rosemary, Wintergreen
Country of Origin: Canada | China
Extraction Method: Steam Distilled
Parts of Plant Used: Leaves / Needles
Terpenes: Camphene, alpha-thujone, beta-thujone, delta-sabinene, alpha-pinene, camphone, bornyl acetate, terpinenol and fenchone.
Naser B, Bodinet C, Tegtmeier M, Lindequist U. Thuja occidentalis (Arbor vitae): A Review of its Pharmaceutical, Pharmacological and Clinical Properties. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2005;2(1):69‐78. doi:10.1093/ecam/neh065
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using this product. *