Lavandin Essential Oil (Lavandula intermedia)
- Acute Respiratory Support (Expectorant)
- Analgesic (mild)
- Antiplatelet / Antithrombotic Effects (*Potential Drug Interaction*)
- Headache Relief
- Reduces Scarring (cicatrisant)
- Sinus / Cold Relief
- Used In Skin Conditions (ie. dermatitis, psoriasis)
Aromatic Scent: Fresh camphoraceous hues laden upon violet fields of penetrating floral nectar.
Dr. Nick Notes
Lavandin (Lavandula intermedia) is a hybrid of Lavandula angustifolia (True Lavender), which grows above 1800 feet elevation, and Lavandula latifolia (Spike Lavender), which grows at lower elevations. Effects are similar to those of Lavender only more potent. The flowers are “green ground” or “green crushed,” meaning they are steam distilled fresh. Lavandin essential oil is great for reducing stretch marks and scars on the skin so that they fade away (cicatrisant)!
The essential oil from Lavandin is very related to “True” Lavender’s aromatherapeutic qualities, however the aroma is less floral and more stimulating with Rosemary-like notes (1,8-Cineole). Alike Lavender’s multi-faceted therapeutic array, Lavandin is supportive for cuts, infections, burns (true lavender is superior), headache relief, colds/flus.
My experience feels like the major differences are Lavandin is more effective as an expectorant, respiratory aid, and has more synergistic anti-microbial effects due to the terpene profile compared to lavender. Also, Lavandin seems to be more stimulating than Lavender and has an interesting expression in therapeutic formulations and botanical perfumery. Lavandin is super special!
How to Use
- Add 3-5 drops into your bath ritual for deeper relaxation and a clarity in the mind
- Blend with a carrier oil (5-10%) for a stimulating, regenerative massage experience
- Great ingredient for making creams and lotions or to add into botanical perfumes
- Use palm-inhalation method, using several drops into the hands – rub hands together and take three deep inhalations to break up phlegm and support the lungs
- Vaporize 1-3 inhalations using 1 drop with an Essential VAAAPP to aid with cold / flu symptoms and induce relaxation / mental acuity
GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) although it may interact with some medications and can prevent blood clotting. Apply a small amount to the skin first to test for any skin reactions (especially sensitive individuals) and avoid use during pregnancy.
Blends Well With: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Cinnamon Leaf, Citronella, Clary Sage, Clove, Cypress, Geranium, Laurel, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin, Sweet Marjoram, Blood Orange, Oregano, Patchouli, Petitgrain, Pine, Rosemary Cineole, Red Thyme.
Country of Origin: South Africa
Extraction Method: Steam Distilled
Parts of Plant Used: Flowers
Terpenes: Linalyl Acetate, Linalool, Camphor, 1,8-Cineole, Terpinen-4-ol, Borneol, beta-Caryophyllene, Lavandulyl acetate, (Z)-b-Farnesene, beta-Myrcene, Geranyl acetate, alpha-Terpineol, (Z)-beta-Ocimene, Germacrene D
GC-MS Sample Batch. Taken from Naef & Morris 1992; Milchard et al 2004
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using this product. *