Cistus Essential Oil (Cistus ladaniferus)
Cistus (commonly known as Rock Rose) was historically prized by the gods and goddesses for its ability to be used on wounds in battle and for its beautification properties. Cistus essential oil is a powerful ally to keep in your medicine cabinet for initial critical care situations.
- Aids in Coagulation
- Circulatory Stimulant
- High in antioxidants
- Skin Conditions (ie. Psoriasis & Eczema)
- Use for Menstrual Health
Aromatic Scent: Botanical Amber tones ~ sharp, spicy, sweet with musky undertones
Dr. Nick Notes
Cistus essential oil is one of those botanical essences that provides therapeutic healing like no other essence. Truly a potent botanical extract, traditionally produced in Spain for hundreds of years as an essence oil. Cistus (aka Rock Rose) is spectacular for skin conditions, infections, cuts/wounds and helps to stagnant fresh wounds with excess bleeding. For something so potent, surprisingly Cistus can be applied on topically neat (undiluted) for cuts/infections.
I’ve seen Cistus greatly reduce the healing time and intensity for gnarly infections both reducing inflammation and minimizing the flare-up. It’s said that applied to a fresh bleeding wound will stop the wound from bleeding rapidly (similar to Blue Yarrow). Surprisingly I have more experience in working with Cistus from an energetic perspective – Cistus really seems to redistribute stagnant energy and release negativity (remove) from an environment.
Cistus has been used in both Psychic Protection and Prosperity in very low quantities as it’s quite potent. For amateur perfumers, Cistus is quite difficult to blend with as small volumes quickly take over a perfume. One thing that is interesting about Cistus in botanical perfumery is it’s often used as a natural amber note. Styrax liquidambar, true Himalayan Amber (fossilized), Ambergris are the other sources of true natural amber. A majority of “ambers” on the market to my knowledge are sadly synthetic.
Try massaging around stagnant areas or around the lymph to aid in circulating blood flow using 10% Cistus infused in a carrier oil such as almond oil or coconut oil. This same mixture can be used for pervasive skin conditions (ie. eczema, psoriasis). This essence is definitely a potent gift to keep in an alchemist treasure chest!
How to Use
- Cistus works as an anti-inflammatory and may be massaged into the skin – try 10% infused into a carrier such as almond, jojoba or coconut oil.
- Applied topically for pain, inflammation, or wounds
- Try 5% infusion into a carrier like jojoba for a face serum
- Add a couple drops to an essential oil diffuser for respiratory support
- Great for breaking up mucous (expectorant) and stimulates the immune system – try vaporizing one drop in an Essential VAAAPP or Firefly vaporizer of place a drop or two in the hands and take deep inhalations.
- Can apply directly onto wounds neat (undiluted) or diluted for sensitive skin.
- Add to a room diffuser using several drops to cleanse the space
~ Be Blessed ~
Take awareness in using internally/topically with blood clotting issues. Dilute for use on sensitive skin before applying. Mix in small concentrations in botanical perfumery / therapeutics – VERY overpowering essence.
Blends Well With: Agarwood, Balsam of Peru, Cardamom, Elemi, Silver Fir, Frankincense Carterii, Rose-Geranium, Ginger, Helichrysum, Juniper Berries (CO2), Lavender Vera, Styrax liquidambar, Sweet Marjoram, Patchouli, Rhododendron, Clary Sage, Black Spruce, Blue Tansy, Turmeric (CO2)
Country of Origin: Spain
Extraction Method: Steam Distilled
Parts of Plant Used: Flowering Plant
Terpenes: α-Pinene, Camphene, (3Z)- Hexen-1-o1, Viridiflorol, p-Cymene, Pinocarveol, p-Menthatriene, Benzaldehyde, α-Campholenic aldehyde, Isopinocamphone, ( ) - Limonene, Eugenol, Isomenthone, Acetopenone, Verbenone, Geraniol, y-Terpinene,α-p-Dimethylstyrene, (-)-allo-Aromadendrene, Tricyclene, Terpinen-4-ol, Dodecanal, Fenchone,α-Amorphene,α-Thujone
El, A., El, L., Boukhira, S., Daoudi, A., & Bousta, D. (n.d.). In Vivo Anti-Inflammatory and Analgesic Effects of Aqueous Extract of Cistus ladanifer L. From Morocco. , retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26934730
Cistus: A Natural Antibiotic, Antiviral, and Biofilm Buster. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=29222
Tisserand, R., Young, R., & Williamson, E. M. (2014). Essential oil safety: a guide for health care professionals (2nd ed.). Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using this product. *