Sweet alluring Buchu leaves from S. Africa, historically used for colds, digestive problems, urinary tract infections.
- Digestive Aid
- Inflamed Joints
- Not Recommended For Internal Use
Aromatic Scent: Sweetly intoxicating, hints of mint, black currant and cool garden wafts.
Dr. Nick Notes
Buchu is a powerful plant that has an intoxicating essential oil with interesting properties. Thick, red and pungent – slightly minty with a black currant characteristic. Historically this plant has been steeped into a tea and used as a stomachic, to treat cystitis and urinary tract infections, as an antiseptic and to reduce symptoms of gout and arthritis.
The essential oil is not used in aromatherapy even though the leaves are known to be quite medicinal due to the toxic ketone pulgenone. Pulgenone is contraindicated in pregnancy and also known to be toxic at higher doses. Being unclear about any safe internal usage (what would be a safe dosage?), it's best to leave this one out of your medicinal essential oil kit.
Uses with the essential oil may include: topical use on swollen joints/gout, infused into a spray as an insecticide and room purifier. The energetics of buchu are slightly dreamy, intoxicating and are worth experimenting. I would say that the fragrance profile is truly unique and is deeply intriguing!
How to Use
- Diffuse into the environment to purify and invoke a sense of dreaminess
- Infuse 0.5-1% into a carrier oil and massage over the belly for upset stomach
- Massage diluted oil into joints/swelling (ie. gout/arthritis)
- Not for everyday topical use
Buchu is not recommended for internal use and may be toxic at larger doses. Avoid use during pregnancy. Undiluted use may cause skin irritation in sensitive individuals. Not suggested in aromatherapy.
Blends Well With: Cedar, Frankincense, Ginger, Jasmine, Lavender, Lemon, Mugwort, Neroli, Palmarosa, Patchouli, Rosewood, Royal Sandalwood, Valerian Root and Ylang Ylang
Country of Origin: S. Africa
Extraction Method: Steam Distilled
Parts of Plant Used: Leaves
Terpenes: diosphenol, para-diosphenol, limonene, menthone, cis-mercaptone, iso-menthone, iso-pulegone, pulegone, and trans-mercaptone.
* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using this product. *